In our kitchen, we love beets as a foundation to just about any recipe. This is because of their earthy profile, and how well they pair with certain fruits! Apples help give this recipe a refined sweetness, and cooking with Crystal means you also get a nice boost of vitamin D. Start your morning with a muffin, and feel good wherever life takes you!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 18 muffins
- 125 g / 1 1/4 cups large flake rolled oats
- 180 ml / 3/4 cup milk or milk alternative (such as soy or almond milk), divided
- 125 g / 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 63 g / 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 10 g / 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt
- 4 g / 1 tsp cinnamon
- 200 g / 1 cup grated raw beets
- 113 g / 1/2 cup Crystal margarine, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup honey
- 54 g / 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 150 g / 1 large apple, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 18 muffin tin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats and 1/2 cup (120 millilitres) milk. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup (60 millilitres) milk, beets, Crystal margarine, eggs, honey and brown sugar.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the oats and the apple.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin emerges clean, with a few crumbs attached; about 25 to 27 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove muffins and cool completely on a rack.
- Make sure you’re using regular rolled oats – instant or quick oats will not work well in this recipe.