Whether it’s a breakfast on the run, a picnic snack, or an anytime treat, you just can’t beat a delicious muffin for taste and convenience. Cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and brown sugar give these muffins all the warm comfort of an apple crumble, but they’re totally portable. We predict this will be your new go-to to-go recipe!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
- 250 g / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 g / 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 5 g / 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 g / 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 7 g / 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp water
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup milk
- 10 ml / 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, preferably organic
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 109 g / 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 71 g / 5 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 89 g / 3/4 cup apple, peeled, cubed small
- apple slices
- Preheat oven to 375℉ (190℃). Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed with the water. Set aside to thicken; 5 minutes.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk the milk and apple cider vinegar together. Set aside to curdle; 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the unsweetened applesauce, dark brown sugar, the melted Crystal Margarine, and vanilla extract. Whisk in the flax seed and milk mixture.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Fold together until dry ingredients are just moistened. Fold in the apples; do not overmix.
- Fill liners 3/4 full. Place a few thinly sliced apples on top, if desired. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in tins for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use any good baking apple for this recipe (McIntosh, Cortland, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith)
- If desired, pears can be used in place of the apples.
- For a dairy-free version, use coconut milk or any nut milk in place of the milk