Who can say no to a luscious batch of fresh caramel sauce? This treat is perfect to top all of our favourite desserts. Straight from the Crystal kitchen, this recipe enjoys a nice boost of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D. Always feel good about your desserts!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 300 g / 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp water
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 10 ml / 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp sea salt
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 10 ml / 2 tsp spiced rum (optional)
- Have ready a small bowl of cold water and a pastry brush.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar has dissolved, increase heat to medium. Brush down the sides of the pot with the pastry brush dipped in water, in order to remove any sugar crystals and bring syrup to a boil.
- Cook, without stirring, until mixture turns a deep amber colour; about 15 minutes. If necessary, periodically brush the sides of the pot down with water to remove any built up sugar crystals.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut milk (take caution as it may bubble up), followed by the Crystal margarine, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and rum.
- Place the caramel back over low heat and stir until smooth.
- Caramel can be cooled slightly and served, or cooled and stored in an airtight container for 1 month in the refrigerator.
- Some brands of coconut milk use ingredients that may add a slight graininess to the texture of the caramel. If this occurs, simply strain the warm caramel through a fine mesh sieve. The taste will not be affected.
- Caramel will thicken in the refrigerator. Warm slowly in the microwave to thin it out again before serving.