If you like Butternut squash, then you’ll love Delicata! This soft-skinned vegetable is easy to prepare, and they have a rich taste and creamy texture. Caramelizing brings out the incredible sweetness making this dish taste almost like dessert! A bit of savoury seasoning rounds out the flavour profile, and chopped hazelnuts give it a little bit of crunch. Fall dinners were made for sides like this!
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- 2 medium Delicata squash (about 900g / 2 lb total)
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, divided
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 clove / 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- 2 g / ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 g / ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 30 g / ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Carefully halve each squash lengthwise down the center, remove seeds and then cut into ½ inch slices. Place in a large bowl.
- Melt 28 g / 2 tbsp of Crystal margarine in the microwave, stir in maple syrup, garlic, and cinnamon. Pour over squash and toss to coat. Spread onto prepared baking sheet, place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender and golden. Transfer to serving platter and keep warm.
- Melt remaining margarine in a small pan over high heat. Cook until it just starts to brown, about 30 seconds. Stir in hazelnuts and cook for 10 seconds. Remove from heat and drizzle over cooked squash. Serve immediately.
- If you can’t find Delicata squash use butternut squash in its place.
- Use a small spoon to easily remove seeds from squash