Breakfast sandwiches are traditionally served on plain English muffins, but these lack flavour. Using spicy chipotle cheddar biscuits instead will add a little more excitement to your breakfast.
340 g / 1 1⁄2 cup Crystal Margarine, cold
65 g / 1⁄4 cup Dark brown sugar
5 large Eggs
45 ml / 3 tbsp Chipotle hot sauce
2 g / 1 tsp Smoked paprika
120 g / 1 cup Aged cheddar, grated
500 g / 4 cups All-purpose flour
8 g / 1 tbsp Baking powder
2 g / 1⁄2 tsp Baking soda
2 g / 1⁄2 tsp Salt
250 ml / 1 cup Buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
8 slices Peameal bacon
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, smoked paprika, cheddar, and salt.
- Using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub the Crystal Margarine into the flour mixture until it is the size of small peas.
- Chill this dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, chipotle hot sauce, and 1 egg. Whisk together with a fork.
- Remove the dry ingredients from the refrigerator and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Gently knead the dough with your hands until it starts to come together.
- Move the dough to a floured surface. Use your hands to shape the dough into a large square about 3 centimetres in height.
- Use a glass to cut out as many rounds as you can. Gather the scraps, re-roll them, and repeat once more.
- Place the biscuits on a lined baking sheet and brush the tops with a little extra buttermilk. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (rotating the tray part way through baking), until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to a resting rack to cool slightly.
- While the biscuits are cooling, begin cooking the bacon and eggs.
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, spread out the slices of peameal bacon. Turn the heat on to medium. Allow the bacon to cook, about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through. Times may vary depending on how thick the bacon is cut.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and allow it to rest, covered in foil, to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tbsp of Crystal Margarine in the same pan, and begin cracking the remaining 4 eggs into the pan, leaving space between them. Break the yolks. Once the eggs look sturdy enough to flip, turn them over and cook until they reach your desired level of doneness.
- Turn off the heat and set the eggs aside while you begin building your sandwiches.
- Take 4 of the chipotle biscuits and split them in half with a serrated knife. Place 2 pieces of cooked peameal bacon and a fried egg on the bottom half.
- Wrap in parchment paper and the sandwiches are ready to travel.
- Want to spice up the sandwich a little more? Mix a few tablespoons of mayonnaise with a few splashes of chipotle hot sauce and spread on the biscuit halves before filling with bacon and egg.
- If you want a few more vegetables in your sandwich, add sliced tomato and shaved red onion for a kick of fresh flavour.