Shortbreads are a go-to cookie for many bakers, partly because there’s a lot you can do with them in terms of flavours and decorations. They’re already a rich cookie, but this recipe makes them extravagant! With the wonderful taste (and crunch!) of pistachios inside, and luxurious dark chocolate on the outside, this is sweet indulgence at its best.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Yield: 28 pieces
- 250 g / 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 120 g / 1 cup icing sugar
- 114 g / 1 cup raw pistachio, finely ground
- 227 g / 1 cup Crystal margarine, cold
- 62 g / 1/2 cup raw pistachio, roughly chopped
- 10 ml / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 170 g / 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 8 g / 2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the all-purpose flour, icing sugar, and finely ground pistachio until well blended.
- Add in the Crystal margarine, roughly chopped pistachio, and vanilla extract. Pulse several times until it just begins to form a ball of dough.
- Roll dough between two sheets of parchment to about 1/4 inch thickness. Place onto a baking sheet and cut shortbread with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter. Place into the freezer to chill; 10 minutes.
- Remove excess dough and arrange shortbread rounds onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat process with the scraps of dough until finished. Chill shortbread in the freezer until firm; at least 15 minutes (can be baked from frozen).
- Place into the preheated oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden around the edges.
Remove from oven. Allow shortbread to cool and firm up on pan; about 10 minutes. Carefully transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
For the chocolate:
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine dark chocolate chips with the coconut oil. Heat at 20-second intervals, stirring in between heatings, until chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Drizzle chocolate over, or dip cooled shortbread into the chocolate. Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet to set.
- Store in an airtight container between parchment or waxed paper for up to 4 days.
- Try almonds or hazelnuts in place of the pistachios.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon or orange zest to the dough for added flavour.
- Ensure margarine is cold and straight from the fridge when adding to the dry ingredients.
- Chilling this shortbread before baking prevents the cookies from spreading and helps it to keep its shape.