Frozen berries don’t have quite the same flavour that their summer fresh versions do. But when that is all you have to work with, toss in a little fresh ginger and lemon juice and you’ve got a delicious use for frozen fruit.
225 g / 1 cup Crystal Margarine, at room temperature
50 g / 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
5 ml / 1 tsp vanilla
220 g / 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 g / 1/4 tsp salt
1 g / 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 g / 1/4 tsp nutmeg
6 cups of mixed berries, frozen
1/2 lemon, juiced
10 g / 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
66 g / 1/4 cup Crystal Margarine, melted
65 g / 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- For the topping, beat 1 cup of the Crystal Margarine and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the margarine mixture and combine until just blended. Wrap and chill while preparing the berries.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Toss the frozen fruit with lemon juice and ginger in a 10 cup baking dish, then add the granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup melted Crystal Margarine.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake the berries for 15 minutes to soften them.
- While the berries are baking, remove the crumble topping from the fridge and begin breaking it into bite sized pieces.
- Remove the berries from the oven and sprinkle the crumble over the berries. Return the dish to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, until the crumble is a rich golden brown and juices are bubbling.
- Serve warm with your favourite ice cream or whipped cream.
- This dish is fantastic when made ahead. Bake everything right to the last instruction, let it cool on the counter and then just reheat the dish in the oven for 1- minutes at 350°F.
- If you can get your hands on fresh berries, feel free to use them!