4 Thick slices of day old bread
60 g / 1⁄4 cup Hazelnut spread
60 g / 1⁄4 cup Crystal Margarine
45 g / 3 tbsp Brown sugar
2 g / 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
4 large Eggs
170 ml / 2⁄3 cup Milk
15 ml / 1 tbsp Rum extract
2 g / 1 tsp Orange zest
Maple syrup, for topping
Extra Crystal Margarine, for cooking
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F(160°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, rum extract, and orange zest until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the hazelnut spread, Crystal Margarine, brown sugar, and cinnamon with a rubber spatula.
- Spread a generous layer of cinnamon-hazelnut spread on one side of each slice of bread.
- Cut each slice of bread in half widthwise. Sandwich the halves.
- Heat an oven safe pan over medium heat.
- Dip each of the prepared sandwiches into the egg mixture, allowing them to soak up a bit of the mixture before flipping them over and soaking the other side. Be careful — you don’t want the sandwich to slide apart.
- Into the warmed pan, add a 1⁄2 tbsp of Crystal Margarine. The margarine should slowly bubble with a quiet sizzle and steam. If it begins to smoke, turn the heat down.
- Turn the heat down on the frying pan and place the soaked sandwiches into the pan.
- Fry the first side until gently browned, about 30-40 seconds, before gently flipping the sandwiches over.
- Transfer the pan to the oven. Cook the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes, or until the bottoms are browned and the filling is dripping out the sides.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the sandwiches to cool for a moment before eating, as the filling will be extremely hot.
- Serve topped with maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon.
- Baking french toast in the oven encourages even cooking.
- Try serving with your favourite ice cream, or fresh strawberries and whipped cream.