Stuffed peppers are a great and convenient way to serve up flavour and nutrition. They look fantastic, too! Our peppers are stuffed to the top with the goodness of brown rice and lentils, and the blend of garlic, rosemary and thyme adds savoury taste and tantalizing aromas. They’re so delicious and easy to prepare, you’ll be having them again and again.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time:1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 4 peppers
- 4 tri-coloured bell peppers
- 28 g / 2 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 225 g / 3 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 70 g / ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 clove / 3 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 2 g / 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 g / 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 5 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 135 g / ¾ cup brown rice, rinsed
- 500 ml / 2 cups vegetable broth
- 150 g / 1 cup rinsed canned green lentils
- 40 g / ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers, remove and discard stems and seeds. Place prepared peppers in an 8” x 8” (20cm x 20cm) square baking dish. Finely chop tops and set aside for later use.
- Melt Crystal margarine in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and reserved chopped pepper tops, cook for 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, rosemary, thyme, and salt, cook for 2 minutes. Add rice to pot and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in lentils, cover and let rest for 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Divide mixture between prepared peppers and sprinkle with pecans.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and peppers are tender-crisp.
- Serve immediately.
- For some extra zest top each pepper with a sprinkling of crumbled goat cheese
- Switch up the lentils with cooked quinoa for added nutty flavour