This baked oatmeal features warm pumpkin and spice flavours with a fruity kick thanks to the crisp apples. With cooler mornings on their way, it helps to have a warm healthy start to the day.
Serves: 6 to 8 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 200 g / 2 cups Rolled oats
- 130g / 1 cup sunflower seeds, shelled
- 100g / 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4g / 1 tsp Baking powder
- 8g / 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice
- 2 apples, skin on and diced
- 2 Eggs
- 1 orange, zested
- 60g / 1/4 cup Crystal Margarine, melted
- 500ml / 2 cups milk
- 120g / 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 45g / 1/4 cup candied ginger
- 25g / 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a 9” cake pan or large casserole dish and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, candied ginger, sunflower seeds, diced apples and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, orange zest, pumpkin puree, milk and melted Crystal margarine.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle on the turbinado sugar and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and the oatmeal has set.
- Serve warm topped with perhaps some low fat greek yogurt or milk.
- Put the baked oatmeal together the night before, cover with foil and refrigerate. Then in the morning, pull it out and throw it into a cold oven, then turn it on allowing the cold dish to heat up with the oven. Add about 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time to compensate for the cool starting temperature.
- If you have a slow cooker, this is a great dish to prepare the night before. Simply add in an extra cup of milk and allow it to cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Times may vary based on your model of slow cooker.