Take your salad to the next level and reap the benefits! Enjoy a boost of protein and fibre, when you combine red cabbage and amaranth, so that your body can truly benefit at any time of the day. A healthy dose of apple cider vinegar on top helps to complete this dish. Feel your best, and do it with Crystal margarine!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: about 8 cups
For the salad dressing:
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 g / 2 tsp lemon zest
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp honey
- 3 g / 1 small clove garlic
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Crystal margarine, melted and cooled
For the salad:
- 300 g / 1 1/2 cups amaranth
- 360 ml / 1 1/2 cups water
- 14 g / 1 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 420 g / 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 180 g / 1 cup diced granny smith apple (about 1 medium)
- 148 g / 1 cup diced cucumber
- 115 g / 1 cup grated carrot
- 35 g / 4 green onions, sliced
- 130 g / 1 cup walnuts, toasted
For the dressing:
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, garlic, cumin and coriander to a blender (or a bowl, if using a handheld blender) and blend until garlic is finely chopped. With the motor running, slowly add the Crystal margarine. Pour into a large bowl, or simply set aside if dressing was blended in the bowl.
For the salad:
- Place the amaranth, water, Crystal margarine and salt in a medium-sized pot with a tight fitting lid. Place over high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until all the water is absorbed; about 20 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet with Crystal margarine. Spread the cooked amaranth on the baking sheet and set aside to cool.
- Add the cabbage, apple, cucumber, carrot and green onion to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Add cooked amaranth and walnuts; toss again.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- If you do not have a blender, finely mince the garlic and whisk together all the ingredients except the Crystal margarine in a large bowl. Whisking continuously, slowly pour in the the margarine until fully combined