We love trying new things in our kitchen, and so should you! This Shepherd’s Pie is the definition of comfort food, with sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and so much more. Share it, save it, even make it your own. When you’re cooking with Crystal, you can always feel good about what you’re putting into your body.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 900 g / 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 85 g / 6 tbsp Crystal margarine, divided, with extra for greasing the dish
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp milk
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt
- 3 g / 3/4 tsp pepper
- 140 g / 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium)
- 140 g / 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
- 120g / 1 cup diced celery (about 3 medium stalks)
- 120 g / 1 cup diced parsnip (about 2 medium)
- 225 g / 3 cups diced mushrooms
- 2 cans 540 ml / 19 oz green or brown lentils, drained, or 3 1/2 cups cooked dried lentils
- 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 36 g / 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 g / 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 g / 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 10 ml / 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 16 g / 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 150 g / 1 cup frozen peas
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until easily pierced with the tip of a knife; about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- In a small pot, heat the milk and 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine over medium heat until the margarine is melted.
- Pour the milk over the sweet potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 gram) pepper. Cover bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 centimetre) baking dish with Crystal margarine. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally; 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and parsnips. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their juices; about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, soy sauce and worcestershire sauce (if using). Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine into a smooth paste. Stir into the filling about 1 teaspoon (4.5 grams) at a time.
- Simmer filling, stirring frequently, until thickened; 7 minutes. Stir in the peas, 3/4 teaspoon (4 grams) of salt and 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) of ground pepper.
- Transfer the filling to the the prepared baking dish and spread the mashed sweet potato evenly overtop.
- Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until bubbling; 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Leftover mashed potatoes, or any other root vegetable, may be substituted for the mashed sweet potato.