Bring a little spice into your life with Crystal margarine! This Spicy Peanut Tofu dish is the perfect way to get some tofu to soak up all the good flavours of soy sauce, ginger and chili sauce. Served over rice or noodles – take your pick! – this dish is a convenient weeknight staple that we can enjoy over and over again.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 packages / 700 g firm tofu, drained
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine, divided
- 10 g / 2 tsp minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/2 po (1 cm) piece ginger, peeled and minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 4 large scallions, sliced
- 1 g / 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 87 g / 1/3 cup unsweetened natural peanut butter
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup water
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp honey
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp lime juice
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Asian chili sauce, such as sriracha or sambal oelek
- toasted chopped peanuts, to garnish
- Slice each block of tofu into 1/2 inch (1 centimetre) slices. Slice each piece into two triangles.
- Place tofu in a single layer on a large paper towel-lined dish. Cover with more paper towels and allow to drain for 15 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine soy sauce, garlic powder and ground ginger. Add tofu and turn to coat. Marinate, flipping tofu pieces a couple times, for a minimum of 20 minutes or up to one hour.
- While the tofu is marinating, prepare the sauce.
- In a medium-sized pot, over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, white and light green part of the scallions (reserve the dark green parts for garnish). Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the peanut butter, water, honey, lime juice, vinegar and chilli sauce. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of Crystal margarine until bubbling.
- Transfer the half of the tofu to the skillet. Cook tofu until well-browned; 3 to 4 minutes, each side. Transfer to a plate. Melt another tablespoon of Crystal margarine in the hot skillet and fry the other half of the tofu.
- Whisk any remaining marinade into the peanut sauce.
- Add all the tofu to the skillet and fold in the sauce.
- Serve warm over rice or noodles and garnish with the dark green slices of scallion and toasted peanuts.
- If you do not have unsweetened peanut butter, reduce honey to 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters).