Want a scramble, but don’t want eggs? Try this protein-packed tofu scramble.
Yield: 3-4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 16-oz (450g) container firm tofu, drained
- 3 tbsp melted Crystal margarine
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce or apple cider vinegar
- Gently squeeze the tofu to extract excess water. Blot dry with paper towel.
- Crumble tofu with your hands.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. add a little margarine to lightly coat the pan. You can add more as needed.
- Cook onions until transparent, 2-3 minutes. Stir in nutritional yeast, onion powder, and turmeric.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Add tofu to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat. Drizzle the soy sauce or apple cider vinegar over the tofu scramble and give it a quick stir.
- Serve warm with toasted bread, avocado, and salad greens.
- Make sure to buy firm tofu, as the softer varieties will not crumble properly.