Nothing says love quite like a homemade cookie. And when that love comes with a tasty boost of vitamins and minerals, it’s even better! Rhubarb adds delicious goodness to an irresistible treat your kids (and you!) will gobble up.
Yield: 36 cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
- 219 g / 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 56 g / ½ cup almond flour
- 8 g / 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 g / 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 g / ¼ tsp salt
- 170 g / ¾ cup Crystal margarine, melted and cooled slightly
- 163 g / ¾ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 67 g / ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 g / 1 tbsp lime zest, finely grated
- 10 ml / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 ml / ½ tsp pure almond extract
- 170 g / 1 cup white chocolate, roughly chopped or chips
- 134 g / 1 cup chopped rhubarb (1/2 inch chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream together the melted Crystal margarine, dark brown sugar, and sugar until well blended; about 2 minutes.
- Add and fully mix in the egg, lime zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Add in half of the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed until just mixed. Add in the remaining dry ingredients. Mix on medium speed; about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the chopped white chocolate (or chips) and rhubarb. Mix until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Cover and place into the fridge to rest and chill; at least 30 mins (or up to 24 hrs).
- Scoop chilled cookie dough using a small ice cream scoop onto prepared baking sheets. Using the palm of your hand, slightly press down the rounded tops of each cookie.
- Place into the freezer to firm up; 10 minutes.
- Place chilled cookies into the preheated oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cookies are golden in colour. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on pan about 15 minutes before attempting to transfer. Carefully remove cookies and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store completely cooled cookies in an airtight container between sheets of parchment for up to 4 days.
- If using frozen rhubarb, thaw and drain excess moisture (do not press on the rhubarb) before using. Spread thawed rhubarb on a paper towel or clean kitchen towel and pat gently with paper towel to ensure no excess moisture is added to the dough.
- Dark chocolate will work equally as well with the rhubarb, or use a combination of both white and dark chocolate.
- Lightly toast the almond flour for an enhanced nutty flavour.
- Lemon or orange zest can be used in place of lime zest if preferred.