We love ourselves a nice calzone in the Crystal kitchen! These delicate little dough pockets are a real treat whenever we need a quick weekday dinner in a hurry. Made with whole wheat, you are definitely going to want to try one of these delicious pita treats tonight.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 23 to 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 large whole wheat pitas
- 14 g / 1 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 188 g / 1 3/4 cup onions, thinly sliced into half rounds
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 g / 2 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 2 cloves / 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 g / 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 138 g / 1 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 4 pcs sundried tomatoes, sliced into strips
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 9 g / 2 tsp Crystal margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375℉ (190℃). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the whole wheat pitas in half. Place pita halves onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside until needed.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomato sauce with the Parmigiano Reggiano, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, black pepper and chili flakes.
- In a large skillet over, medium heat, melt the Crystal margarine until bubbling. Add the sliced onions and sautée for 15 to 20 minutes, or until onions are deep golden in colour. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Evenly spread two tablespoons (30 millilitres) of the tomato sauce into each pita half.
- Divide the cheese into 4 piles (35 grams – per pita). Sprinkle half of the cheese (about 17 grams) onto the tomato sauce. Evenly divide the onions and sliced sundried tomatoes into each pita, place 3 basil leaves on top of the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the basil leaves.
- With a pastry brush, brush the pitas with the melted Crystal margarine (optional).
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the pitas are slightly crispy.
- Serve immediately.
- If Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is unavailable, use finely grated parmesan cheese instead.
- Be creative and add other kinds of vegetables to the filling before baking.