Sweet and smoky baked beans are great on morning toast, or served alongside your favourite barbecued meats.
60 g / 1⁄4 cup Crystal Margarine, plus extra for spreading on the bread
1 medium Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, chopped
4 strips Maple smoked bacon, roughly chopped
2 15 oz cans Navy beans, drained and rinsed
125 ml / 1⁄2 cup Ketchup
50 g / 1⁄4 cup Brown sugar
60 ml / 1⁄4 cup Cider vinegar
50 g / 1⁄4 cup Molasses
6 g / 2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
25 g / 3 tbsp Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F(160°C).
- In a deep, non-stick, oven-safe frying pan, add the Crystal Margarine, diced onion, minced garlic, and chopped bacon. Turn on the heat to medium.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the mixture until the onions are translucent, and the entire mixture is beginning to brown, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans to the frying pan, and toss to combine with onions and bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, molasses, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the pan with the beans, and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, place the uncovered pan in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the beans from the oven, stir once, and allow them to rest for 5-6 minutes before serving.