For a little change that makes a big difference, we made this loaf with whole wheat flour instead of white. You get all the added benefits of whole wheat, and it tastes great, too! The heavenly mix of warm spices and bananas make this a moist and rich temptation you don’t have to feel guilty about saying yes to!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 to 65 minutes
Yield: 1 9 x 5 inch loaf
- 250 g / 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 7 g / 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 g / 1/4 tsp salt
- 113 g / 1/2 cup Crystal margarine
- 72 g / 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 67 g / 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 390 g / 1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup milk
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Lightly grease and line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving about a 2-inch overhang for easy unmolding.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, allspice, and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the Crystal margarine with the sugars until creamy; 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each egg into the batter before adding the next ingredient.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour and mix the banana mixture into the batter.
- Remove bowl from the stand mixer. With a rubber spatula fold in the dry ingredients until just moistened; do not overmix.
- Transfer and evenly smooth the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Place into the preheated oven. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove banana bread from the loaf tin with the aid of the parchment paper overhang. Place onto a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Feel free to substitute coconut milk, soy milk, nut milks, or even water for the milk.
- Banana bread can be made in advance and frozen. Ensure loaf is completely cooled before wrapping well in plastic wrap or foil or and/or placed into a freezer safe bag. For convenience, slice the cooled loaf before freezing.