Apple, spices and baked pecans are the perfect way to warm up in the morning. These breakfast cookies are filled with protein, fibre, and chunks of fresh apples, to jump start your day.
170 g / 1 cup Crystal margarine, room temperature
75 g / 1 cup Golden brown sugar
215 g / 1 cup Honey
2 large Eggs
260 g / 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
275 g / 2½ cups Rolled Oats
2 Apples, peeled and diced
180 g / 3/4 cup Pecans, chopped
45 g / ¼ cup Poppy Seeds
45 g / ¼ cup Chia seeds
45 g / ¼ cup Sesame seeds
5 g / 2 tsp Baking Soda
2 g / 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 g / 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
10 ml / 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F(160°C).
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the Crystal Margarine on high speed for 3 minutes, until smooth and fluffy, scraping down the sides several times with a rubber spatula.
- Add in the brown sugar, honey, egg, vanilla and salt. Mix on medium for 6 minutes, scraping the bowl down several times with a rubber spatula.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, rolled oats, pecans, seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, apples and baking soda.
- Scrape down the margarine mixture with a spatula and add in all the contents from the dry bowl.
- Mix on low just until the dough is combined and even. Over mixing will make a tough cookie, so stop once the flour is no longer visible.
- Divide the dough into 12 large cookies or 24 mini-cookies, and shape into balls.
- Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and lightly press down to keep the dough from rolling around.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the center no longer looks wet. Be sure to rotate the tray after 6 minutes of baking.
- Transfer the cookies to a resting rack and allow them to cool before eating.