Mole Mushroom Tostadas
Our Mole Mushroom Tostadas are the perfect family weeknight dinner, combining the traditional Mexican mole sauce with crispy corn tostadas and topped with a delicious mix of cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and mushrooms.
The mole sauce, originating from the central and southern regions of Mexico, particularly the state of Puebla, known as the “Land of Mole,” is made from a blend of onion, garlic, jalapeno, chipotle, coriander, cumin, and chilli powder, creating a complex and flavourful taste.
These tostadas are meant to be messy, so don’t be afraid to add your favourite veggies as toppings. They can be enjoyed as a plant-based meal or as a tasty appetizer and are best served with a side of rice and beans for a complete and satisfying dish.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Crystal Margarine divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 drained canned chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chilli powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp (25 mL) almond butter
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp (25 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt divided
- 6 cups (1.5 L) sliced mixed mushrooms (such as brown, shiitake and/or cremini)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed cilantro leaves, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Mexican hot sauce
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded cabbage
- 8 corn tostadas
- Lime wedges for serving
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) margarine. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño; cook, occasionally stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened and fragrant. Add chipotle, coriander, cumin and chilli powder. Cook, occasionally stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender and well coated. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and simmer, occasionally stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender. Cover the top of the blender with a kitchen towel, and blend on low speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Return mixture to skillet and stir in almond butter, tomato paste, cocoa powder and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt. Simmer, occasionally stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mole sauce is thickened and well combined.
- In another large skillet set over medium heat, add the remaining margarine. Add mushrooms and cook, occasionally stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and evenly browned—season with remaining salt. Add mole sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until well coated.
- Meanwhile, chop 2 tbsp (30 mL) cilantro. Transfer to a small bowl. Add yogurt, 2 tbsp (30 mL) green onions, lime zest, lime juice and hot sauce and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add shredded cabbage. Add yogurt dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide the mushroom mixture evenly among the tostadas. Top evenly with cabbage mixture and garnish with remaining cilantro and remaining green onions over the top. Serve with lime wedges.
For added heat, drizzle tostadas with additional hot sauce or top with drained pickled jalapeño slices.