Cranberry-Orange Vegan Breakfast Pastries
Great for grabbing on the go, these Vegan Cranberry-Orange Breakfast pastries make for a fun holiday morning indulgence. We recommend making a double recipe because these scrumptious toaster-style pastries filled with a tangy cranberry-orange filling sure won’t last long!
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (+ 2 hours standing time)
Makes: 6 Pastries
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Crystal Margarine
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) ice water (approx.)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crystal Margarine, melted
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- .1 tbsp (15 mL) Crystal Margarine, melted
Vegan Breakfast Pastry Directions
1. Pastry: In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Using pastry blender or your fingertips, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in 5 tbsp (75 mL) ice water until dough comes together. If needed, stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) more ice water.
2. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a ball and then flatten into rectangle. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Cranberry Filling: Meanwhile, into small saucepan set over medium-high heat, add orange juice and sugar; stirring, bring to a boil. Stir in cranberries, orange zest, vanilla and cinnamon; bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and most of the cranberries have popped. Let cool completely (it will thicken more as it cools). Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
4. Assembly: Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) cranberry filling for glaze and set aside. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
5. Dust work surface with flour. Roll 1 portion of pastry to 1/8- inch (3 mm) thickness; cut into six 4 x 3-inch (10 x 7.5 cm) rectangles, rerolling scraps as needed. Repeat with second portion of pastry. (If pastry is soft, pop in freezer for a few minutes to firm up.)
6. Divide cranberry filling evenly among 6 rectangles, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border. Cap with remaining rectangles. Using fork, press edges firmly to seal. Using knife, pierce top of each tart to create 2 steam vents.
7. Arrange tarts on parchment paper–lined baking sheet, spacing evenly apart. Brush with melted margarine.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is lightly golden and crisp. Let cool completely.
9. Glaze: In medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, reserved cranberry filling and melted margarine until blended and smooth. Spread over tops of pastries. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes or until glaze is set.
Tip: The cranberry filling also makes a great spread on toasted bread slices with margarine. Sprinkle with fresh berries and pistachios for loaded toasts.