We all know that you should never hit the trails on an empty stomach. Which is exactly why we whipped up this batch of Gluten-Free Trail Mix Cookies. For any and every adventure, bring Crystal margarine along for an added boost of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D. Cookies full of the good stuff, what’s not to love?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Yield: 28 cookies
- 118 g / 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 43 g / 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely ground
- 33 g / 1/3 cup gluten-free large flake oats
- 49 g / 1/3 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 57g / 1/3 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 23 g / 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
- 42 g / 1/4 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 39 g / 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 35 g / 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 37 g / 1/4 cup pepitas, lightly toasted
- 4 g / 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 19 g / 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 4 g / 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 5 g / 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 80 ml / 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Crystal margarine, melted
- 145 g / 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 large egg
- 10 ml / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 ml / 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350℉ (175℃). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the gluten-free oat flour, finely ground hazelnuts, gluten-free large flake oats, almonds, chocolate, unsweetened coconut, dried cherries, dried cranberries, golden raisins, pepitas, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together the natural peanut butter, Crystal margarine, dark brown sugar and honey until well-blended and smooth; about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, extracts and salt. Incorporate into the mixture; about 1 minute.
- On slow speed, add in half of the dry ingredients until combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well-blended.
- With a small ice cream scoop, scoop evenly-sized rounds onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. Place cookies into the fridge to chill; 10 minutes. With a flat-bottomed glass, gently press each chilled cookie to about 1/4 inch (6 millimetre) thickness.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- As the cookies are quite delicate, allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before transferring to a platter or container. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
- Dark chocolate chips can be used in place of the chopped chocolate.