Rhubarb is a unique vegetable with tart flavour. It steals the show in any recipe! This Roasted Rhubarb Spread is a simple recipe that highlights the unique flavours of fresh rhubarb. Try spreading it on a scone and paired with a cup of tea!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 kg / 8 cups rhubarb, ends trimmed and cut into 1 in (2.5 cm) length
- 200 g / 1 cup granulated sugar
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup honey
- 42 g / 3 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 4 g / 2 tsp orange zest
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup orange juice
- 10 ml / 2 tsp vanilla extract xx
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the rhubarb, sugar, honey, Crystal margarine and orange zest.
- Transfer rhubarb mixture to a large rimmed baking pan and spread out in a single layer (use 2 rimmed baking pans if necessary). Roast in oven until juices begin to caramelize, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Using a standing or immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth.
- Transfer into a medium pot. Add in both the orange juice and vanilla. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, allowing to simmer, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and becomes glossy, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to two 250 milliliters (1 cup) jars or freezable airtight containers. Mixture will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Easily turn this into Roasted Rhubarb Strawberry Spread by switching out 3 cups (375 grams) of rhubarb with 4 cups (500 grams) of stemmed and halved strawberries.