Pears are a sweet, juicy fruit and when combined with nutmeg and cocoa they create an amazing aroma that will fill your house. This show stopping cake is perfect for breakfast on Christmas morning, where it is sure to impress the family.
180 g / 3/4 cup Crystal margarine
150 g / 3/4 cup Brown sugar
15 ml / 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
200 g / 1 2/3 cup All-purpose flour
4 g / 1 tsp Nutmeg, ground
15 g / 2 tbsp Cocoa
2 g / 1 tsp Baking powder
100 ml / 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp Milk, preferably whole
Pinch of salt
3 small Pears, preferably soft and ripe, without bruises
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (165°C).
- With an electric mixer, cream together the Crystal margarine, vanilla extract and brown sugar for 2 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the margarine mixture one at a time, mixing just until combined before adding the next. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the mixer each time with a rubber spatula.
- With a whisk, mix together the flour with the baking powder, nutmeg and cocoa. Add the dry to the wet and begin mixing slowly.
- As the batter begins to mix, slowly stream in the milk. Once all the milk is added, continue mixing on high for a few seconds more just to be sure the batter is combined well.
- Prepare a loaf pan by coating the bottom and sides with Crystal margarine, then lining it with parchment.
- Add in enough batter to just coat the bottom of the pan to the corners. Place the 3 washed and dried pears on top of the batter, evenly spaced and not touching the sides.
- Pour in the rest of the batter, making sure to spread it evenly and completely around the pears. The tops of the pears will stick out slightly.
- Place the cake into the oven, and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake portion comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool before removing it from the pan.
- Dust the top of the cake with a little icing sugar, slice and serve with greek yogurt.
- If you would rather smaller, personal desserts, try preparing this cake in deep individual ramekins or popover pans and serve with ice cream.