Eating gluten free doesnt mean eating flavourless cakes and cookies. By combining various starches, ground nuts and flours you can achieve a final product that is full of flavour and has a texture similar to that of baked goods made with wheat flour. Here carrots and spice compliment the sweet honey like flavour of pecans.
230 gm / 1 cup Mirage margarine, melted
430 gm / 2 cups Dark brown sugar
4 Large eggs
30 ml / 2 tbsp Molasses
180 ml / 3/4 cup Milk
15 ml / 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
3 Carrots, medium sized, washed and grated
1/2 cup Pecans, ground
1/2 cup Almond flour
1/2 cup Tapioca starch
1/2 cup Corn flour (Masa found in the Mexican section)
1/4 cup Ground flax seeds
1/2 cup Sorghum flour
12 gm / 2 tbsp Baking powder
9 gm / 2 tsp Salt
15 gm / 1 tbsp Ground cinnamon
2 gm / 1/2 tsp Ground Clove
-Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F(175C).
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the Mirage Margarine on high for 3 minutes.
- Add to the margarine the sugar and molasses and continue creaming for 3 minutes more.
- Now add the eggs and vanilla extract, Continue mixing on high for another 3 minutes, scraping the bowl several times with a rubber spatula.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add the dry mixture into the margarine mixture in 3 parts, mixing thoroughly before adding each part. Once all the dry ingredients are mixed into the bowl, fold in the grated carrot until completely combined.
- fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the way with the fluffy batter.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes. The centres will sink slightly so you will have to use a toothpick to test the centre. If the toothpick comes out clean youre ready to pull them from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Gently turn the muffins out and allow them to cool on a resting rack before serving.
- Once the muffins have cooled, dust the tops with icing sugar and store them in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
- For extra nutty flavour fold in whole pecans to the mixture, before portioning into the muffin tin.