We all know that you should never hit the trails on an empty stomach. Which is exactly why we whipped up this batch of Gluten-Free Trail Mix Cookies. For any and every adventure, bring Crystal margarine along for an added boost of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D. Cookies full of the good stuff, what’s not to love?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Yield: 28 cookies
- 118 g / 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 43 g / 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely ground
- 33 g / 1/3 cup gluten-free large flake oats
- 49 g / 1/3 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 57g / 1/3 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 23 g / 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
- 42 g / 1/4 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 39 g / 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 35 g / 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 37 g / 1/4 cup pepitas, lightly toasted
- 4 g / 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 19 g / 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 4 g / 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 5 g / 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 80 ml / 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- 76 g / 1/3 cup Crystal margarine, melted
- 145 g / 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 large egg
- 10 ml / 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 ml / 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the gluten-free oat flour, finely ground hazelnuts, gluten-free large flake oats, almonds, chocolate, unsweetened coconut, dried cherries, dried cranberries, golden raisins, pepitas, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together the natural peanut butter, Crystal margarine, dark brown sugar and honey until well-blended and smooth; about 2 minutes.
4. Add in the egg, extracts and salt. Incorporate into the mixture; about 1 minute.
5. On slow speed, add in half of the dry ingredients until combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well-blended.
6. With a small ice cream scoop, scoop evenly-sized rounds onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. Place cookies into the fridge to chill; 10 minutes. With a flat-bottomed glass, gently press each chilled cookie to about 1/4 inch (6 millimetre) thickness.
7. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
8. As the cookies are quite delicate, allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before transferring to a platter or container. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
- Dark chocolate chips can be used in place of the chopped chocolate.