Granola bars are portable tasty treats that can be made at home for a fraction of the cost of those pre-made in the stores. The biggest difference here is you will know what is going into them. Try different mixes of nuts and seeds, this recipe is a base to work from.
- 120 gm / ½ cup Crystal Margarine, melted, plus extra for lining the pan
- 300 gm / 6 cups Rolled oats
- 100 gm / 2 cups Rice cereal
- 95 gm / 1 cup Almond flour
- 225 gm / 1½ cups Chocolate Chips
- 70 gm / ½ cup Whole almonds chopped
- 190 gm / 1 cup Brown sugar
- 170 gm / ½ cup Honey
- 80 gm / ¼ cup Molasses
- 60 ml / ¼ cup Orange juice
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Pinch of Salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(175°C).
2. In a large bowl, toss the oats with the melted Crystal margarine and salt.
3. Spread the mixture over two lined baking sheets, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden brown
4. Remove the oats from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven down to 325°F(160°C).
5. In a medium pot combine the brown sugar, honey, molasses and orange juice. Heat just until it begins to bubble. Add in the vanilla extract and remove from the heat.
6. Combine the oats with the rice cereal, almond flour, chopped almonds and chocolate chips.
7. Prepare a baking sheet by lining the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
8. Pour the sugar over the mix of oats and nuts. Stir just until combined.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, and press the mixture firmly into the pan.
10. Place the tray into the oven and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.
11. Allow the tray to cool completely before turning out the large sheet onto a cutting board.
12. Using a sharp knife, cut the large sheet into smaller granola bars. Wrap bars individually and store them in a cupboard until ready to serve.