Pesto comes from the Italian word “pestare”, referring to how pesto was originally made using a mortar and pestle. While today we use more advanced techniques (cue in the blender), the fresh green taste remains the same!
Makes: 3 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 80 g / 2 cups fresh basil
- 100 g / 1 cup kale, leafy parts only
- 125 g / 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g / 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 130 g / 1/3 cup hemp hearts
- 70 g / 1/2 cup walnuts, whole
- 35 g / 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 125 g / 1/2 cup Crystal margarine, melted
- Combine all ingredients, minus the olive oil, in a blender and blend on high speed.
- Drizzle in the olive oil slowly while blender. Continue to blend until the oil is fully incorporated.
- Serve pesto with spiralized vegetables or your favourite pasta.