Pleasing a crowd doesn’t have to be difficult, especially not when you come prepared with these delicious Lentil and Sweet Potato Tortilla Cups. Nestled in a delicate tortilla cup, you can allow your imagination to run wild with toppings like green onions, olives, and more, served alongside a party-pleasing helping of lentils and sweet potatoes.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 24 bites
- 4 large (10 in / 25 cm) flour tortillas
- 56 g / 4 tbsp Crystal margarine, divided
- 300 ml / 1 1/4 cup water
- 70 g / 1/3 cup red or brown dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 100 g / 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 in (1 cm) cubes
- 45 g / 1/2 small white onion, minced
- 6 g / 1 tsp minced garlic
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt
- 4 g / 1 tsp chilli powder
- 4 g / 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 50 g / 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 75 g / 1/2 medium avocado, diced into 1/4 in (6mm) cubes
- 40 g / 3 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 60 g / 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°).
- Using a 3 inch (7.5 centimetre) round cutter, cut 24 rounds from the tortillas. Cut a slit through each tortilla round, towards the centre.
- Place tortilla rounds on a plate and cover with a well dampened paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
- In a small bowl, melt 1 tablespoon (15 grams) of Crystal margarine.
- Take one tortilla round (keeping the others covered by the paper towel) and brush with melted Crystal margarine. Overlap the two sides of the slit until a cup shape is formed; press well into the cup of a mini-muffin tin. Repeat with remaining tortilla rounds.
- Bake until tortilla cups are crispy; 8 – 10 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature.
- In a small pot, on high heat, bring the water and lentils to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low; simmer for 20 minutes. Add the sweet potato and simmer until soft, about 8 minutes.
- In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoons of Crystal margarine over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened; 2 minutes. Add garlic, salt, spices and lentil mixture to the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Spoon 1 heaping spoonful of lentil filling into each tortilla cup. Top with shredded cheese, avocado and red onion and drizzle with sour cream.
- Try different toppings such as salsa, black olives, green onion or shredded lettuce.
- If tortillas start to become difficult to form into cups, re-wet the paper towel and microwave again for thirty seconds.