Make meals with ease, using Crystal margarine! We love food that makes us feel good, and this “Mac and Cheese” is no different. Using a healthy portion of edamame beans, which are high in protein and fibre, we brought a fresh and healthy crunch to this comfort food classic. Enjoy it tonight, and get a boost of omega-3 fatty acids with Crystal while you’re at it.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 42 g + 56 g / 3 tbsp + 1/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 70 g / 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 20 g / 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 6 g + 3 g / 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp salt
- 280 g / 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 313 g / 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 720 ml / 3 cups milk
- 31 g / 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 26 g / 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 10 ml / 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 g / 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 113 g / 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 15 cup (3.5 litre) casserole dish with Crystal margarine.
- In a medium bowl, melt 3 tablespoons (42 grams) of Crystal margarine in the microwave; about 20 seconds. Stir in the panko crumbs and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Heat milk, until steaming, in the microwave; about 2 minutes.
- Melt 1/4 cup (56 grams) of Crystal margarine in a medium pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the hot milk and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens; about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Boil a large pot of water. Stir in 1 teaspoon (6 grams) of salt and the macaroni. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the edamame. Cook 3 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Whisk in the nutritional yeast, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon (3 grams) of salt. Cook 2 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in the cheese until smooth.
- Stir the macaroni and edamame into the sauce and transfer to the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle the panko crumbs over top and place in oven. Bake until crumbs are golden and filling is bubbling; 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Try other flavours of cheese, such as pepper jack or mozzarella.
- For a faster version of this recipe, mix the cooked macaroni and edamame into the sauce and serve immediately in bowls.