Wake up in the morning to this warm and delicious mandarin cranberry baked oatmeal. Combine the ingredients in the slow cooker the night before, and you’ll be waking up to the delicious and nutritious family favourite.
Serves: 4 to 6 people
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
- 56g / ¼ cup Crystal margarine, melted
- 60 ml / ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 170g / ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2g / 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2g / 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 375 ml / 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 8.25oz / 1 can mandarin oranges
- 60ml / 1/4 cup orange juice
- 460g / 3 cups uncooked oatmeal, rolled or quick oats
- 6g / 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 90g / 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4g / 1 tsp chia seeds
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with Crystal margarine.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted Crystal margarine, applesauce, brown sugar, salt, orange juice, milk and eggs until well blended and creamy.
- Fold in the can of mandarins, including the juice.
- Add the oats, chia seeds, cranberries and baking powder and stir until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is set.
- Serve hot or let it stand in the slow cooker for up to an hour and then scoop and serve with a side of yogurt or a splash of milk.
- If you’re not the type the start a slow cooker the night before, go ahead and bake this recipe in a deep casserole dish with a lid. This should take about 25 minutes at 350F.