Is it possible to be cool and hot at the same time? It is with this recipe! Tofu cooked with chili, ginger, and honey brings a kick of sweet heat, but it’s balanced with cool julienned veggies. Wrap it all up in a lettuce leaf for a satisfying crunch. All this, and it’s budget-friendly, too! Now that’s cool – and hot!
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
For the Tofu:
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp honey
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 5 ml / 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 g / ½ tsp chili flakes
- 454 g / 1 lb extra firm tofu brick
- 12 g / 1 tbsp Crystal margarine
For the Wraps:
- 12 Boston Bibb lettuce leaves
- 100 g / 1 cup shredded carrots
- 100 g / 1 cup julienned cucumber
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 10 g / ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 30 g / ¼ cup chopped and toasted cashews
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Whisk together soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, honey, lime juice, ginger paste, and chili flakes; divide in half.
- Line a cutting board with paper towel. Slice tofu block into ½ inch / 1 ¼ cm slices and place on paper towel, cover with additional paper towel and top with a heavy cutting board. Let tofu sit for 15 – 20 minutes, the paper towel will soak up extra moisture. Chop each tofu slice into ½ inch / 1 ¼ cm cubes. Place in a medium bowl and toss with half of the sauce.
- Heat Crystal margarine in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, or until heated through and golden in colour.
- Divide lettuce among plates or on a large serving platter. Place equal amounts of tofu in the bottom of each lettuce leaf. Garnish with shredded carrots, cucumber, green onions, and cashews. Serve with a lime wedge and remaining sauce.
- Try replacing the tofu with 454 g / 1 lb. peeled shrimp. Cook following tofu cooking directions.
- Toast cashews in a medium frying pan, dry (no oil), over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until golden.