This jam goes the extra mile thanks to the addition of chia seeds. Loaded with healthy Omega-3 fats, these little seeds are nutritional powerhouses.
Makes: 1.5 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 680 g / 3 cups strawberries, halved
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 55 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 50 g / 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 30 g / 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2.5 ml / 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Combine strawberries, maple syrup, margarine, and sugar in a medium saucepan set over medium heat.
- Stirring frequently, allow to gently bubble for 5 minutes, until strawberries soften. Mash with a potato masher, leaving some strawberries whole for texture.
- Stir in chia seeds and turn the heat down to the lowest setting. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Give the jam a good stir before transferring to an airtight container. Place in the fridge, where the jam will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pay close attention during cooking that the mixture doesn’t burn. If the jam starts to get stuck to the pot, add 1/4 cup of water to loosen and prevent burning.