How can we make comfort food that also makes us feel great? That’s easy, when we’re cooking with Crystal! This Sweet Cornbread is prepared in a skillet, so it looks beautiful to serve and is beautiful to taste.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 1 10” (25 cm) skillet cornbread
- 240 ml / 1 cup milk (or almond, soy, or coconut milk beverage)
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 g / 1 tbsp flaxseed, finely ground
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp water
- 225 g / 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 156 g /1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 g / 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 g / 1 tsp salt
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 80 ml + 15 ml / 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 5 ml / 1 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400℉ (200℃). Place a 10 inch (25 centimetre) skillet pan into the oven while the oven comes to temperature.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the non-dairy milk with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the finely ground flaxseed with the water, until well-combined and the mixture becomes slightly gelatinous. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine unsweetened applesauce, with the 1/3 cup (80 millilitres) of the melted Crystal margarine, and pure maple syrup. Add in the milk (dairy or non-dairy) and the flaxseed mixture alongside the Crystal margarine, stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and gently fold together. Do not overmix.
- With an oven mitt, take out the preheated skillet and add in the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) of the melted Crystal margarine. Swirl the pan to coat the skillet with the Crystal margarine. If needed, use a pastry brush to grease the sides of the pan.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Place skillet into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean. The edges should be browned and there should be a few cracks on the top. Take out of the oven and allow to cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Add some fresh herbs (e.g. chives, thyme, or even diced onions) or some spice (e.g. black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, or finely diced jalapeno peppers, or cinnamon) to switch things up with a sweet savoury or sweet and spicy taste to this cornbread.
- If a skillet pan is unavailable, use a 9 or 10 inch (23 or 25 centimetre) round or square cake pan.
- Serve warm, as a side or as a snack with maple syrup drizzled on top.