Fragrant, tender and fabulous, these festive cupcakes are the perfect holiday treat.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes (+ 35 minutes standing time)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground allspice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cloves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) almond milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flax
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Crystal Margarine
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) molasses
- 1 cup (250 mL) Crystal Margarine
- 2 cupa (500 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 12 mini vegan-friendly gingerbread cookies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease 12 muffin cups; line with paper liners. In small bowl, whisk together ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and cayenne pepper; set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, 7 tsp (35 mL) spice blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together almond milk, vinegar, flax and vanilla; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar and molasses on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour mixture and almond milk mixture, making three additions of flour mixture and 2 of almond milk mixture.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, about three-quarters full. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre of cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely on rack.
- Frosting: Meanwhile, beat margarine, icing sugar, remaining spice blend and salt on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes or light and fluffy. Refrigerate until needed.
- Spoon frosting into piping bag fitted with desired tip; pipe frosting over cupcakes. Garnish each cupcake with cookie.
- Decorate cupcakes with holiday sprinkles if preferred.
- Alternatively, spoon frosting onto cupcakes; swirl decoratively with a spoon.
- Try our Gingerbread Cookies recipe for a home-made cookie topper.