Vegan Heart Pancakes
Impress the whole family with these irresistible pancakes for a Valentine’s Day breakfast or brunch.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes (+ 15 minutes standing time)
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) oat milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ground flax
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Crystal Margarine, melted and divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) strawberries, cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crystal Margarine, melted
- 2 cups (500 mL) strawberries, sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In separate bowl, whisk together oat milk, vinegar and ground flax; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted margarine.
- Pour flax mixture over flour mixture; whisk just until combined (do not overmix; mixture will have a few lumps). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat; brush with some of the remaining melted margarine. Brush the inside of two 4-inch (10 cm) heart-shaped pancake molds or cookie cutters with melted margarine; place in skillet.
- Pour 1/3 cup (75 mL) batter into each mold; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles start to form and edges are set. Turn over (with moulds attached); cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Remove pancakes from moulds; transfer to rack. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet and moulds with more melted margarine as needed.
- Strawberry Sauce: Meanwhile, melt margarine in large skillet set over medium heat; cook strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice for 8 to 10 minutes or until sugar is melted, strawberries are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Arrange 2 pancakes on each serving plate; top with Strawberry Sauce and garnish with strawberries.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan-friendly coconut whipped topping, yogurt or cream cheese.
- Alternatively, spoon batter into piping bag fitted with round tip and pipe outline of heart-shaped pancakes in pan; fill in centre with batter.