When the weekend comes around, try throwing together this simple breakfast that is sure to satisfy the entire family. All it really takes is 2 bowls, a baking dish, and 30-40 minutes in the oven. Baked oatmeal also happens to be a great gluten-free option, just be sure to buy certified gluten-free oats.
- 200 g / 2 cups Rolled oats
- 120 g / 1 cup Macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
- 66 g / 1/3 cup Dark brown sugar
- 4 g / 1 tsp Baking powder
- 7 g / 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 10 g / 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 112 g / 1/2 cup Crystal margarine, melted
- 500 ml / 2 cups Milk
- 10 ml / 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 200 g / 1 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 140 g / 1 cup White chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Grease a 9” cake pan or large casserole dish; set aside.
3. In a bowl, using a spatula combine the oats, chopped and toasted macadamia nuts, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, chia seeds and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted Crystal margarine, milk, and vanilla.
5. On the bottom of the prepared baking dish, pour in the fresh or frozen blueberries.
6. Cover the berries with the dry ingredients.
7. Pour the bowl of wet ingredients over the oat and fruit mixture, then cover the dish with aluminium foil.
8. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes covered, then remove the foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and the oatmeal has set.
9. Serve warm topped with maple syrup, and perhaps some low fat greek yogurt.
- Try changing up the nut, fruit and chocolate combinations in this perfect weekend brunch item. Favourites include almond-orange-white chocolate, raspberry-milk chocolate-hazelnut or even banana-peanut with dark chocolate chips!