Even comfort foods get repetitive, so why not try something new? You can’t beat this bread and veggie casserole – it’s a lot like stuffing, but with a deliciously cheesy twist! Familiar tastes will make this an instant family favourite, and the wholesome ingredients will make it one of your favourites to give them.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 24 g / 2 tbsp Crystal margarine
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 227 g / 3 cups mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 g / 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 900 g / 12 cups sourdough bread, cubed
- 6 eggs
- 625 ml / 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 4 g / ¾ tsp salt
- 1 g / ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 180 g / 2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt Crystal margarine in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, stir in onions and mushrooms, and cook for 12-15 minutes or until softened. Stir in peppers and zucchini, cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme, cook stirring for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
- Mix together bread and cooled vegetables in a large bowl, transfer to 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper, pour over bread and mix well. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place strata in preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until set and golden.
- Switch out the cheddar cheese for gruyere cheese for a different flavour profile.
- Pair this Strata with a simple green salad for a complete breakfast experience.