Did you know that you can replace eggs in a recipe with bloomed ground flaxseed? Feel free to use this trick in any of your muffin recipes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 22 minutes
Yield: 16 muffins
- 14 g / 2 tbsp finely ground flaxseed
- 75 ml / 5 tbsp cold water
- 125 g / 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 125 g / 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 36 g / 1/3 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 10 g / 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 5 g / 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 57 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine, melted
- 108 g / 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 120 ml / 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 64 g (60 ml) / 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 45 ml / 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (1 medium) apple, peeled and cubed small
- 1 cup (3 medium) carrots, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375℉ /190℃. Line muffin tins with 16 paper liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together finely ground flaxseed with water. Set aside for 5 minutes. Whisk in cooled Crystal margarine and mix until well combined. Whisk in brown sugar, almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, pecans, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt, until thoroughly combined. Make a well. Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture, add apple and carrots. Fold into the dry ingredients until combined.
- With an ice cream scoop, fill liners 3/4 full. Place into preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Allow muffins to cool in tins for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins can be made ahead and frozen. Place completely cooled muffins in a freezer bag or airtight container in a single layer; alternatively wrap individual muffins in aluminum foil and place into freezer. Reheat by placing muffins in a preheated 350℉ /190℃ oven for 10 minutes to 15 minutes. Or place onto a microwaveable plate and heat up on high for about 30 seconds.
- Zucchini can be used in place of carrots.