This hearty corn chowder is completely vegan and completely delicious. Made with the sweet and wholesome taste of fresh corn, Russet potatoes, carrots, and celery, you and your family will enjoy this warm and comforting soup as the days get shorter and the air gets colder. Topped with the fragrant aroma of cilantro and sea salt, this vegan corn chowder warms your heart and sates your hunger.
Yield: 4 servings
Calories per serving: 255
- 2 tbs Crystal Margarine
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced, ¼ set aside for garnish
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 Russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 5 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed, ¼ cup set aside for garnish
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 tbs finely chopped chives
- ¼ cup of cilantro leaves
- Heat a large soup pot on medium-low heat, and add Crystal Margarine. When melted, add the onion, garlic, pepper, carrot, and celery. Cook until soft.
- Add potato and cover with lid. Allow potato to soften for 5 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Add vegetable broth, unsweetened almond milk to pot, and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and cook until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Add nutritional yeast, and stir well. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend just over half of the soup to create a creamy consistency, but ensure to leave enough veggies unblended to give a chunky texture to the soup.
- Taste soup, and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until soup thickens.
- To serve, divide into 4 bowls and top with reserved red bell pepper, corn kernels, chives, and cilantro leaves.