Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but how much effort do you put into it? These little bars are full of protein, and will save you precious time in the morning, not to mention, will keep your body in working order until the lunch time bell rings. They also make a perfect afternoon snack.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 15 bars
- 6 g / 1 tbsp flax meal
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp water
- 203 g / 1 1/2 cups shelled hemp seeds
- 53 g / 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 43 g / 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 47 g / 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 17 g / 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 126 g / 6 tbsp honey
- 56 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 30 g / 2 tbsp tahini (any nut or seed butter may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 300℉ (150℃). Grease a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 centimetre) baking pan and line with parchment paper so that the paper extends beyond the pan on two sides.
- Stir flax meal into 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) of water in a small bowl; soak for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the hemp hearts, sesame, poppy and flax seeds, tapioca starch, and salt.
- Place the honey, Crystal margarine and tahini in a microwaveable bowl and heat on high in 20 second increments, stirring in between, until a smooth paste forms; whisk in soaked flax meal.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and combine. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes on the middle rack; remove and cool completely in pan. Once cooled, remove from pan and cut into 15 bars about 1 3/4 x 3 inches (4.5 x 7.5 centimetres) in size. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- These bars freeze well – store in an airtight container for up to 2 months and enjoy cold.