You need a snack that packs a punch, that has that “get up and go” quality you need for your daily life. This Popcorn Trail Mix is easy to make, and it’s packed with ingredients made to benefit your body: black beans, coconut oil, pecans and more! Go the extra mile, but don’t forget the snacks, with Crystal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 cups
- 1 540 ml / 19 oz can black beans
- 84 g / 6 tbsp Crystal margarine, melted
- 156 g / 1 cup unsalted peanuts
- 105 g / 1 cup pecan halves
- 26 g / 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 75 g / 1/3 cup popcorn
- 55 g / 1 cup toasted wheat or corn cereal squares
- 12 g / 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 g / 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 g / 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 g / 1 tsp paprika
- 3 g / 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 g / 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 g / 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 g / 2 tbsp dried chives
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Rinse and drain black beans. Pat dry with paper towels and transfer to a large-rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons (28 grams) of Crystal margarine and stir to coat. Spread beans into a single layer and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet and add the peanuts and pecans. Return to oven and bake; 10 minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed and lidded pot set over medium heat. Add a few popcorn kernels to the pot and cover. Once the kernels have popped, add the rest of the popcorn and cover the pot. Cook, shaking the pot frequently, until the popping has subsided to one pop every few seconds; about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and mix in the cereal squares, black beans and nuts. Add the remaining 1/4 cup (56 grams) of Crystal margarine and mix well.
- In a bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over the popcorn mixture and toss mixture to coat evenly.
- Store Popcorn Trail Mix in an airtight container for up to five days.
- For a spicy kick, feel free to add a sprinkling of cayenne pepper or chili flakes.