Just like your traditional hazelnut spread, without all the saturated fat. Feel free to adjust the sweetness by adding more or less honey to taste.
Makes: 2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 160 g / 1 1/2 cups roasted hazelnuts, skin off
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp warm water
- 110 g / 1/3 cup honey
- 55 g / 1/4 cup Crystal margarine
- 15 g / 2 tbsp cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes to rotate. Allow to cool on a towel. When cool, remove skins by rubbing the hazelnuts with the towel.
- Add roasted nuts to a food processor. Grind to a fine powder, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add Crystal margarine and continue processing for 5 minutes, or until smooth, scraping down every minute.
- Add in cocoa and honey. Continue processing for another 2 minutes until combined, scraping down occasionally.
- Store in a clean, airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Hazelnuts might go by their other name, filberts, in the supermarket.