Toad-in-the-hole is toast meets eggs, in one complete bundle. This version has a creamy ricotta and spinach layer hiding under a soft-cooked egg.
Makes: 4 Toads-in-the-Hole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 thick slices multigrain bread
- 4 large eggs
- 30 g / 1/4 cup diced onion
- 60 g / 2 cups baby spinach
- 185 g / 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 g / 1 tsp salt
- 2 g / 1 tsp black pepper
- 60 g / 1/4 cup Mirage margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Spread margarine on both sides of bread slices. Using a circle cutter or cup, remove centres of bread. Place cut slices into a baking dish, arranging cutout pieces around slices.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of Mirage margarine in pan, over medium heat. Add in onion. Cook until softened, approximately 3 minutes. Add spinach to pan, remove from heat; toss to coat allowing spinach to wilt.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta, salt, pepper, and warm spinach and onion mix.
- Divide ricotta and spinach mix into holes in bread, pressing down into hole, leaving space for egg to sit. Top filling with one egg each.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until egg is cooked to desired doneness. Remove from oven and transfer to plates for serving.
- Add a little bit of fun to this dish by cutting the hole out with the cookie cutter shape of your choice.